Here are some lists of my favorite things. Individual lists are very roughly ordered by how much I like them.
If you have recommendations based on these lists, please let me know! Also, hope you find some new gems!
I primarily play puzzle games. I also enjoy many board and card games, most notably deck-building games (check out Engine, a game my friend made). As per MIT tradition, I occasionally do puzzle hunts, though I’m not that great at them. I play some DDR as well, mainly because it doubles as exercise. I also try to stay away from Super Smash Brothers (Melee and Ultimate) due to its addictive properties.
Disclaimer: I don’t read much
- Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
- Understand by Ted Chiang
- Scott Alexander’s pill story
- Scott Alexander’s story of alchemy
- The Moral Virologist by Greg Egan
- Learning to Be Me by Greg Egan
- Forward Pass by Andrej Karpathy
- Lena by qnmt
- GEB by Douglas Hofstadter
- Permutation City by Greg Egan
- Worm (warning: dark, very long)
- Wait but Why
- Various writing from Paul Christiano. I especially recommend:
- Chris Olah’s personal blog and Distill.pub
- Hyperbole and a Half
- Geometric rationality